Thursday 20 March 2014

BARRIERS TO CHURCH #1: Emphasis on Traditionalism

1. Emphasis on traditionalism (doing things like we've always done them) that resists change and stifles growth.

Not only have I attended quite a few different church services over the last year, but I've interviewed at a few handfuls of them (too many perhaps), and one thing that has really surprised me is how many churches seem to be content with the status quo. Now, don't get me wrong, this has never been vocalized. In fact, I'm sure the vast majority of churches out there see the need for (and even love the idea of) change, but recognizing the need and actually taking steps to make change are two separate things.  

I believe that one of the primary goals of a pastor should be to lead a community of believers to not just be a community of believers.

Probably every pastor and church would wholeheartedly agree with that statement, but the problem is that it's a lot easier to say it than do it. When I suggest that an emphasis on traditionalism is a barrier to people bringing a guest to church, I'm not talking about a church's particular worship style or where they sit in terms of ritual and liturgy. Every church is different. I believe that it's important to embrace those differences in worship and expression and appreciate them as a part of the larger worldwide church family. What I'm getting at is that if a church is content with the status quo (simply doing things the way they've always done them), the danger is that the church becomes irrelevant to those who've never walked through the doors of a church before.

I must confess, I know very little about ushering in change in the context of a church, but I certainly recognize when there's a need for it. If you're a pastor/leader, my hope and prayer is that you would desire, not only to provide bible-based teaching and offer a meaningful worship experience to those who join you on a Sunday, but to see people bringing friends and neighbors along with them. How can you facilitate that? It might start with encouraging your congregation to meet within the church walls less and actually spend time getting to know others in their neighborhood. It might mean opting to have a 'First Steps/Christianity 101' group instead of an adult bible study. Perhaps it means inviting a few of your friends or neighbors from the community to join you on a Sunday in order to offer some constructive criticism on what you're doing well and where you're falling short?  I want to encourage you to embrace change and lead your congregation to the point where they desire change too. Hopefully, my next few posts will give you a lot of things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment